Handmade Ear Wires
You'll need the following tools and supplies:
1. Start with two 3" lengths of wire. Using your round-nose pliers, make a loop in the very tip of the each wire.
2. Drop one side of the round nose pliers just below the bottom of the loop on the side of the wire away from the loop opening. Using this bottom side of the pliers as leverage, bend the stem of the wire back towards you slightly. (This centers the loop on top of the wire like a lollypop instead of making a "P" shape.)
3. Place the wires (loops on top) into the Looping Pliers with the metal stepped mandrels towards you. Pull the bottom of the wire up and over the mandrel.
4. Remove the wires from the Looping Pliers. Use your flat nose pliers to gently bend up the bottom of the ear wires. Use the cutters to clip the wires off about a quarter of an inch below the bend. (Note: to change the look of the ear wires, place the bend higher or lower on the tail end of the ear wire.)
5. Finish the ear wires by gently hammering along the curve to harden the wire and make them springy. Then add your earring component(s) and enjoy!
CONGRATULATIONS! You made ear wires!
Now for a fun variation!
Whichever kind of ear wire you make, don't forget to take a piece of fine sandpaper or a file to gently smooth the cut end of the wire. No snags!
Would you like to design a project for our website? All designers will get full credit, links to their website and a gift certificate to spend any way they like at B'sue Boutiques website. Contact B'sue for details at firstname.lastname@example.org.